Saturday, October 23, 2010

The most important things

 You know I can remember holding little Hayden in my arms and thinking, oh my all the things I am going to teach my son. I want him to always remember his dad and I are always looking out for him and that he can always come to us for anything. But the main thought that came to mind was I want this boy to have empathy for others and truly care about people and their feelings. I know boys have a harder time with this than girls. I'm not trying to stero type, it's just a fact of life.  As more and more boys came along in our family I was just beginning to believe that boys just can't be loving to their brothers, especially when they are all three teens. Well I just wanted to share this glimmer of hope I saw this weekend. Ethan is doing the play Captain Louie, he didn't  tell many of his friends about the play because he didn't want to be made fun of, and he also knew his brothers would also give him a hard time after they saw him singing. Well Friday night was the opening, we ALL went to the play as a family.  As the last song was ending I looked up to see that Ethan's big brothers were the first to stand and clap for their younger sibling. It was so amazing to hear his brother's compliment him and say things like, "man E I would have puked if I was up there on stage." At that moment when I saw them stand, I felt like I had instilled in them a little of what I wanted them to have, and I tell you the impact of this moment really made me thankful that I was able to catch a glimpse of what exception men I have in my home.

2 comments:

  1. so silly-but this brought tears to my eyes! i'm sure you were so proud of those big brothers, too, for being proud of their younger. i love the new look, too-it's perfect for autumn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears. Yeah for motherhood. Moments like these are more than enough pay for all our hard work.

    Maybe one of my girls will be lucky enough to marry one of your exceptional boys someday.

    ReplyDelete